MCTU 2015 Video of 50k run and Review. By: Angie Maske-Berka
“If I never do this again, it will be too soon…” I told the race director as he picked up trail flags behind me
Music City Trail Ultra 50k. Pegram, TN. March 14, 2015. 3rd year for the race.
That’s right, there’s a story behind this one, it’s a long one! My short & simple race review can be found at Bibrave.com. Otherwise grab some snacks and get cozy.
Registration: This was available online through ultrasignup.com. When I registered it was around $55 with a shirt included, as race day neared the cost rose to $70. This also included a finishers glass, and aid station help. No medals, no chip timing.
Now why did I pick this race? Laura and I were looking to up our running game, I searched races available for the date of March 14, this one popped up, and it was a days drive. So of course, we signed up. We also jumped into a training program already at week 11, as we have a good mileage base. We did not read the message on the website:
- Heartbreak – I really feel sad for Laura, she would have never been able to finish the race in her condition, yet she put in the miles to do her best.
- Failure / disappointment – I didn’t complete 50k
- Joy – I finished the race I was given, it was an ultra distance on the toughest terrain I have ever encountered. I never quit
- Sick / worthless – the night after the race and for an entire week, I suffered from the flu. I have never been so sick
- Redemption – I want to run a 50k
- Accomplishment – You never know what you are capable of until you set out to do it, I learned how strong I was after my first marathon, and have been pushing myself ever since. If the challenge doesn’t scare you, it’s not the right one for you.
- Inspired – the people who conquered this course, running, are amazing!!
So yes, I am an ultramarathonner. However I have yet to accomplish that 50k distance. I will get there! Thank you to everyone that pushed me along the way, thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.
Video of the race https://youtu.be/STWsTsjnENo